I had this error today while installing a new SCSM SSP Server in my lab. At the end it was a pretty simple thing to fix, but it cost me some time to figure it out. Just wanted to share with you in case you run into the same thing.
I have the following setup
- Two Management Servers with SCSM 2012 SP1 based on Windows Server 2012
- One SQL Server with SQL Server 2012 based on Windows Server 2012 hosting the Service Manager database
- One SharePoint Foundation Server based on Windows Server 2008 R2
I tried to install SCSM with SP1 on the SharePoint Server to build a brand new SSP and got the following error:
After multiple retries and some time without success, I found the following line in the Setup Log.
Some binging and it turned out to be a problem with the combination of SharePoint Foundation 2010 RTM and SQL Server 2012 RTM. The resolution was quiet simple: Installing SharePoint Foundation 2010 Service Pack 1. After that, everything went smoothly and the Web Components could be installed. SSP is now up and running.
Lessons learned for me: update all components in the environment even when it’s only a lab … what a greenhorn mistake